New
Find
Notify
Tools
tipping in advance Login/Join 
Virtual Traveller
posted
Hi everyone
We have friends who are booked on a Globus tour (tried to talk them out of it!) but it seems they can pay the guide and drivers tips in advance with the rest of the money for the tour. I would prefer to do this for our European Explorer in June, and wonder if this is possible? Anyone able to help?

Posts: 17 | Location: Peakhurst Australia | Registered: 13 November 2007Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of Langers
posted Hide Post
In my honest opinion, Insight have better option for paying tips. They give you a recommended guideline for a daily payment.But in the end it is your own decision what you pay based on service satisfaction, or dissatisfaction. The other company makes the decision for you and you pay up front !

Posts: 492 | Location: Adelaide | Registered: 23 April 2007Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of Pauline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Jane:
Hi everyone
We have friends who are booked on a Globus tour (tried to talk them out of it!) but it seems they can pay the guide and drivers tips in advance with the rest of the money for the tour. I would prefer to do this for our European Explorer in June, and wonder if this is possible? Anyone able to help?

I prefer the Insight way, where you take on board the recommended tip amount and then either add to it or detract from it, depending on how your TD and driver perform.
I have yet to detract from my daily tip allowance on any of the 6 Insight tours that I have done but I have added to it on a few of the tours.

Posts: 2030 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 25 April 2000Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted Hide Post
And...I quite like handing the envelope over at the end and then being able to continue saying thanks to the driver or guide.
Obviously you dont need money to say thanks......
I put money away at the beginning when I still have it (havent spent it all on must have souvenirs Smiler) in an envelope from hotel and have it ready with names on for the end of the tour without a mad scramble.
Like Pauline I havent needed to take out any because I was dissatisfied at the end, but the option is there.
I think it is what you are used to..and we are all trained the Insight way!! Big Grin

Posts: 195 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 22 March 2009Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted Hide Post
Included Tips are not new to us but it is a growing trend in the Cruising sector and it arises as a consequence of so called poor tipping levels.

UK passengers on US Cruise Lines are expected to tip a total of UK£10:50 per day per passenger, or even more. For a variety of reasons people are not prepared to tip at that level so automatic tipping has been introduced.

I would not personally support such a move by Insight.

We also like the envelope system but somebody who doesn't once asked me if I patted their heads when I handed it over.... obviously we do not but it makes a point about ' tipping '.

Smiler

Posts: 1198 | Location: Dorset, UK | Registered: 16 February 2009Report This Post
Virtual Traveller
Picture of Steve G
posted Hide Post
"Forced tipping" is one of the reasons we are not cruising this vacation (there are a few others as well). I object to being forced to tip a particular amount and I even object to the "suggested" amounts by Insight. I find them to be quite high.

The suggested amounts total to Euro 8 per day (for two of us) for the tour director (about $11 Canadian). For 10 days this seems like a lot to me, multiplied by around 20 couples (assuming 40 people). My math puts that at the equivalent of $220 per day in tips!! CDN$2200 for ten days plus whatever wage they earn, plus "kickback" from shops, WOW! Then the driver gets a little more than half that so about CDN$1400 for 10 days for 40 people.

Having said that, I have not yet been on a "coach tour" so I'll see if I feel the guide and driver are deserving of the suggested amounts and then tip accordingly. I suspect I will be tipping less than the suggested amounts but I obviously can't say right now.

People should be paid what the job is worth and not have to live off of (or subsidize their income through) tips, in my personal opinion.

Posts: 24 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 February 2010Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of Yoni
posted Hide Post
Tipping is a very contentious issue but I definitely would not be tipping in advance. My feeling is if the courier already has their tip why would they go out of their way to assist.

I have always had excellent couriers and drivers and have been very happy (with the exception of one very surly driver who had an accident) to tip them at the conclusion of my tours. I don't tip them what is recommended by tour companies but still leave a generous amount.

As regards the forced tipping on cruises - we did a P&O cruise last year and all we had to do was visit the Pursers office and ask for the daily automatic tipping to be removed from our cabin account. Not a problem and no questions asked.

Happy Travelling.

Britain & Ireland 2000 Splendours of Egypt & Country Roads of Italy - 2008
Treasures of Turkey 2010

Posts: 287 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Report This Post
Virtual Traveller
posted Hide Post
I know people have their own views on tipping but it always seems odd to me that we are happy to pay for flights, cruises, hotels,loaves of bread or whatever, but the coach drivers and guides have to be seen to "earn " a tip. I know for a fact that tour directors are paid around $100 a day, and the tip is a major part of their income. I always tip the full amount, and regard it as a basic cost of the tour. If I had aproblem with either of them, i would take it up with the Company. But we all have our ways of looking at things.

Posts: 17 | Location: Peakhurst Australia | Registered: 13 November 2007Report This Post
Virtual Traveller
Picture of Steve G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Jane:
I know people have their own views on tipping but it always seems odd to me that we are happy to pay for flights, cruises, hotels,loaves of bread or whatever, but the coach drivers and guides have to be seen to "earn " a tip. I know for a fact that tour directors are paid around $100 a day, and the tip is a major part of their income. I always tip the full amount, and regard it as a basic cost of the tour. If I had a problem with either of them, i would take it up with the Company. But we all have our ways of looking at things.

OK, just to continue this contentious subject:

When I pay for an airline flight the wages of the pilot, mechanics, attendants, cleaners, etc., are included. When I rent a hotel room for the night the wages of the Manager, cleaning staff, repair staff, etc. are included. When I buy a loaf of bread the baker has been paid. If I purchase something in a department store the employees, Managers, cleaners, etc., have been paid. I don't tip for any of these things. I personally can't figure out why on earth is it that in the travel and restaurant industry we can't just pay the bill and be done with it.

I dislike the practice of tipping in general and I cannot agree that it is a "basic cost of the tour". The "basic cost" is what is listed on the website or in the brochure.

People should be paid a fair wage and shouldn't be expected to live off tips. I also don't agree with forced tips (as mentioned in a previous post). Just give me the total price and I'll decide if I want to pay it or not. Don't even mention the tips. This is the main reason that the majority of our vacations are to "all-inclusive" resorts when everything (including the tips) are included.

This is my opinion only and I fully realize that many others (maybe even the majority of others) will disagree. Maybe I'm just another cheap Canadian (as many of us are known in Florida).

Posts: 24 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 February 2010Report This Post
Virtual Traveller
Picture of Steve G
posted Hide Post
Just in case anyone gets the wrong impression I do intend to tip both the tour director and driver unless there is a huge reason not to. I'm just not likely to tip the "recommended amount". I'm a cheap Canadian but I'm not completely clueless that we live in a world where tipping (in some countries) is the norm. I do tip in restaurants here in Canada but again not at the "recommended" 15-20%.

Believe it or not I work in the Hospitality industry where many people do receive tips Eeker I just strongly dislike the practice.

Additionally I'm not trying to start an argument as everyone is entitled to their opinion but I couldn't let the "we are happy to pay for flights, cruises, hotels,loaves of bread or whatever" line pass without responding. Some of those items include all costs and one isn't expected to tip for them, at least not where I live.

Lady Jane - please don't take my comments as an attack on you or your opinion - they are not intended as such.