Welcome to Insight Vacations' Online Community    THE INSIGHT TRAVELLING EXPERIENCE    Insight Vacations    cheap eats near Thistle Marble Arch and Pullman Paris Bercy
Page 1 2 

Moderators: John - Moderator

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
cheap eats near Thistle Marble Arch and Pullman Paris Bercy Login/Join 
Virtual Traveller Plus
posted
Hi
I will be staying at the Thistle Marble Arch London prior to my tour departure 'Elegance of Great Britain' and staying at Pullman Paris Bercy as part of my France tour. I would like to know of any cheap good cafe's or pubs you could recommend nearby and also is the Marais and Latin quarter within reasonable walking distance of the Pullman Bercy hotel.

Posts: 34 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 24 February 2005Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of Cat's Inheritance
posted Hide Post
Sydneysue...

In London all pubs are good, especially the food. If offered, go for fish & chips with mushy peas, as the British do good with fish.

As for a pub near the Thistle Marble Arch, there is a decent pub southeast of Kensington Palace along Kensington Road.

There are others in the area, which are good. Sorry, I forgot the names, but after a few pints at the pubs and some fish dinners, well...you know.

Cat's

Posts: 639 | Location: Orange County, California, USA | Registered: 12 July 2001Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of BellaLuna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sydneysue:
Hi
I will be staying at the Thistle Marble Arch London ... I would like to know of any cheap good cafe's or pubs you could recommend nearby .

Buona sera Sydneysue,
We stayed at the Thistle Marble Arch in June. By asking a bobby where he would eat, I learned that nearly all the pubs are owned by less than a handful of corporations. So, while the atmosphere may differ, the menus will look strikingly similar as will the prices. That being said, go down the stairs at the hotel, walk out the doors and turn right. Cross over and go about half a block down to "The Three Tuns" It looked like everything we had expected of a London Pub. I had a beef pie that was absolutely delicious! I don't remember precisely, but I think my dinner was about 12 British Pounds (not including my ale).
BTW, the bobby told me the best place for dinner was his mum's - I asked him for the address!

Buon viaggio!
Marcy

Posts: 179 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 June 2003Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at the Thistle at Marble Arch on several occassions but have yet to have been lucky enough to get into The Three Tuns.

Everytime we have gone to eat there the place has been heaving, not a spare square foot in the place, even to stand. We must always find it at its peak. It certainly has plenty of atmosphere, there were even people stood out on the pavement with their drinks.

There is a great Italian Restaurant a little further up Bryanstone Street. When you come out of the hotel, you turn to the left and keep walking. You have to cross the main road and it is just a little way up the next block. We have been there several times. It was very reasonably priced and the meals were generous and more importantly, delicious. It is also licenced, so you can have drinks with your meal. Very handy, not too far to walk back to the hotel.

Posts: 495 | Location: Italy | Registered: 19 August 2007Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Plus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

I will post the second part of the question re: Pullman Bercy separately.

Posts: 34 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 24 February 2005Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted Hide Post
I LOVED The Three Tuns! It's only around the corner. We ate there both nights last time. Firday nights is the worst. Everyone goes there for afterwork drinks. Go early and you can get a seat. We met some other Insight Travellers there that were going on a different trip and had some nice conversation!

Posts: 303 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 16 July 2006Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted Hide Post
Just to add to what the others have alread said about the London hotel...

The Thistle Marble Arch is fabulously located. If you want to purchase some take away food to much in your hotel room, there's a Marks and Spencer's just up the street where you can get an excellent assortment in their food halls.

Posts: 219 | Location: Richmond Hill (Toronto), Ontario, Canada | Registered: 12 November 2006Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of brooklyn
posted Hide Post
years ago, we stayed at this hotel and right next to the hotel is a little sandwich place... we got take out and ate in Hyde Park. It was lovely

Posts: 454 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2002Report This Post
Virtual Traveller
Picture of Ril
posted Hide Post
We ate at the pub near the Thistle hotel a number of times when we were there in 2007. I think between the 6 of us over our visits we managed to sample most of the menu. The cost for dinner was the most reasonable we found in London. We ate at a 3 different Italian restaurants within walking distance - we enjoyed all of them but not as cheap as the pub. The pub seemed to be staffed by Australians which was great - we enjoyed hearing their accents. We also ate some Turkish restaurants around the corner from the Marble Arch underground station, they were also good - no wine service however as they were Islamic.

Posts: 7 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 10 June 2007Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Plus
Picture of Expom
posted Hide Post
Posted by "RIL":We also ate some Turkish restaurants around the corner from the Marble Arch underground station, they were also good - no wine service however as they were Islamic.

I tried to eat a Turkish restaurant once but the cement got stuck in my teeth... Big Grin

Posts: 64 | Location: Rockbank, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 January 2007Report This Post