Welcome to Insight Vacations' Online Community    THE INSIGHT TRAVELLING EXPERIENCE    Premium Europe and Britain    Pubs & ATMs near Thistle Marble Arch Hotel
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Pubs & ATMs near Thistle Marble Arch Hotel Login/Join 
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted
What restaurants, pubs, or English fast food would you recommend near the Thistle Marble Arch Hotel?

Where is the nearest bank and ATM by the hotel? Was it easier to exchange currency at the bank or the ATM?

Posts: 160 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 04 April 2008Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Plus
Picture of Keitel
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I could do with the same information. I will be staying there in September prior to and after a tour.Thanks

Posts: 27 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 24 January 2003Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of PamH
posted Hide Post
There are a number of ATM's around the Thistle and a money exchange around the corner. The hotel is just off and part of Oxford Street so lots of everything close by. There is a Kentucky Chicken and a Pizza Hut in Oxford street and a great pub just over in the next block from the front of the hotel. There are also a guy that sells fresh fruit and 2 department stores that have a small supermarket down stairs. The hotel has a very nice dinning room that had good meals that were buffet style meals that were not expensive. Just remember to ask your TA to request a room away from the streets as they are very busy.

Posts: 189 | Location: Geelong Australia | Registered: 17 April 2007Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of Gennevive
posted Hide Post
The Thistle hotel in Marble Arch has an ATM in the reception area. I used it a lot, nice and handy and you feel safe using it.

Great place to get a cheap meal is the Three Tuns pub, also if you walk down to James Street there are a lot of inexpensive restaurants - you can eat al fresco or inside. Marks and Spencers have a wonderful food hall where you can get great food. The hotel rooms all have small fridges so you can keep a small amount of food in the fridge. Tube station is just around the corner too, and also a money exchange where you can change money. Inside rooms are certainly the way to go at this hotel. You will love the restaurant and the breakfasts, but get there early as it does get very busy at breakfast time. Food is fantastic.

Life's a journey not a destination - Aerosmith, Amazing

Posts: 495 | Location: Italy | Registered: 19 August 2007Report This Post
Virtual Traveller
posted Hide Post
Good to hear great things about the Thistle Marble Arch. We will be staying there pre and post tour next July. We are on the Britain & Ireland Explorer tour - can't wait! Smiler

Posts: 19 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 08 November 2009Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
Picture of Healyn
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Thistle Marble Arch in November and it is located in a great area for both shopping and food. We had no complaints regarding the hotel. Breakfast was good and our inside room was really clean and quiet.

Thanks to those on the bulletin board I was able to find the Three Tuns restaurant (when you go out the front door of the hotel turn right, cross Portman Street and walk 1 minute and there it is). The food was tasty and the price was right. Dinner for two with drinks and tip was under 20 British Pounds. To those from OZ they have an Australian bartender. Pizza Hut is located on Oxford Street not far from the hotel. We went between 5-6 one evening and it was jammed back. We hit "happy hour" and our meal cost us 4 British Pounds each. We also went to Marks and Spencers and ate in their cafe as well as purchased food in their Food Hall and took it back to the hotel. You can also purchase food in the Food Hall at Sefridges and Pret A Manger which are both nearby. Further down on Oxford Street their are plenty of pubs tucked away on the side streets.

After spending a day seeing the sites of London we ventured out on Oxford Street every night. I love London and can't wait to go back in September prior to my next tour.

Happy travels everyone,

Heather Smiler

Posts: 81 | Location: Barrie ON Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone, who responded.
Since I will be in London from 29 Aug. to
8 Sept., I will be asking A LOT of questions.

Hope some of your questions were answered, Keitel.

Posts: 160 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 04 April 2008Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Plus
Picture of Keitel
posted Hide Post
Thanks all it was very helpful. Keep it coming. Smiler

Posts: 27 | Location: Sydney | Registered: 24 January 2003Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great information regarding the Thistle - we will be staying there pre and post-tour in June and July. Is it possible to walk to the British Museum from there or would a taxi or tube be better? Approx. how far is it from the Thistle? We are pretty fit and don't mind walking. Would appreciate any comments on this.

Posts: 125 | Location: Dubbo NSW Australia | Registered: 27 January 2008Report This Post
Virtual Traveller Elite
posted Hide Post
Hi Jaytee,

this is an easy question to answer using Google Maps.

By clicking on "Get Directions", you can enter "Thistle Hotel Marble Arch London" and "British Museum Great Russell Street London" and select "Walking". The shortest result is about 1.5 miles (~2.4km).

Under the "More" button, you can then select "Transit" and all of the London Tube routes will be displayed. For your journey, a tube trip is basically 3 stations along the Central (red) line. You would board at Marble Arch (right next to your hotel) and travel to Tottenham Court Road station from where it's a short walk to the museum.

See: route.

phil

This message has been edited. Last edited by: phil,

Posts: 2142 | Location: East Gosford ··· Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Report This Post